Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A brief diversion...

I now take this opportunity to tell everyone a cautionary tale, not entirely related to cosmetics or hair styling...

Totally related to aesthetics, however.

Four years ago, I got both my nipples pierced. It hurt. It looked cool, though. I had neat little hoops in them. What I was not told, was that hoops don't heal as well as barbells, because they're on a curve. What I was also not told, was that the hoops were not as big as they should be for my nipples. I know, TMI, but, I have a point.

They never healed entirely properly, and a year later, I'd had it, and took them out.

Last week, I had them pierced again. I had the proper-sized barbell (nipples swell, too!) put in, and they hurt less immediately, and still hurt less. I'm cleaning them a few times a day with H2Ocean sea salt spray for piercings; it's a sea salt solution that works amazingly well, and allows me to avoid the whole 'sea salt water in shot glasses covering nipples' debacle.

Overall, my point? When you get piercings, even ear piercings (did you know it's impossible to properly sterilize a gun because of the plastic components?), make sure the person piercing you is knowledgeable. You can save yourself a lot of pain and aggravation. Make sure the equipment is sterile, and that you know how to properly clean your piercing. I'd suggest getting all piercings done at a tattoo/piercing shop, since guns damage cartilage, and, as I said, it is impossible to sterilize every part of a piercing gun. I'd rather pay an extra $20 and watch the needle I'm going to be pierced with unwrapped from a sterile package.

Another thing. Nipples take a while to heal, but not a year. Don't be a dumbass like I was; if it still sucks after 6 months, take them out!

I'm done.

No comments: